Frequently Asked Questions
What are the features of a feature phone?
A feature phone, also known as a basic phone or keypad phone, is a type of mobile phone that typically has
limited capabilities compared to a smartphone. It offers essential features like:
- Calling and texting: Feature phones usually have basic calling and texting
capabilities, allowing users to make phone calls and send SMS messages.
- Basic camera: Some feature phones have a camera for taking basic photos, although this
is not always a standard feature.
- MP3 player and FM radio: Many feature phones come with an MP3 player for playing music,
and an FM radio for listening to the radio.
- Simple user interface: Feature phones generally have a simple user interface, making
them easy to use for people who are not tech-savvy.
- Long battery life: Feature phones are known for having longer battery life compared to
smartphones, as they have fewer demanding components and features.
- Durability: Feature phones are often designed to be durable, making them ideal for
people who are hard on their phones or who work in demanding environments.
- Affordability: Feature phones are often more affordable compared to smartphones, making
them a good option for people on a budget.
Can feature phones access the Internet?
Yes, some feature phones can access the internet, although their internet capabilities are generally limited
compared to smartphones. However, the internet experience on a feature phone is usually slower and less
smooth than on a smartphone due to the limited processing power and memory. Additionally, feature phones may
not support some of the more demanding or complex internet-based applications and services. Nowadays,
feature phones are used as backup phones by smartphone users or by people who are not savvy enough to use
smartphones. Hence, most feature phones do not support internet access and are limited to basic call and
text functions and entertainment.
How safe are feature phones?
From the point of data safety, feature phones are still considered less vulnerable to cyber threats compared
to smartphones, as they have less complex operating systems and fewer built-in apps.
Is there a camera on feature phones?
Yes, feature phones typically come with basic camera capabilities and the camera has a lower megapixel count.
However, despite these limitations, the camera on a feature phone can still be useful for taking basic
photos or recording basic video. For example, the A7 Star feature phone by Lava Mobiles comes with a VGA
camera that supports zoom and video recording features.
Can I run WhatsApp on a feature phone?
No. Modern feature phones do not support running WhatsApp as the latest versions of the app are no longer
supported by the mobile OS of feature phones.